Thursday, May 26, 2011

Genogram Reflections

Good Evening,
As I completed my genogram and talked with my family,  I realized how quickly things have changed in terms of our occupational choices.   I began to ponder how people decide what they want to be when they grow up.   With 3 generations on my genogram, I recognize significant differences in our career choices.  I chose to be a teacher and don't remember a time that I didn't want to make a difference for other people...this is a gender typical occupation for women past and present. In my immediate family history,  there were 4 trained educators and 2 others in "caring" fields, 5 who have great creative passions with music or language and 4 in the numbers business ( banking, accounting, engineering). 
As I pondered whether each of my family members were satisfied or content with their occupation,  I wondered if my grandparents ever put their personal satisfaction over their responsbilities.  I believe that each of them did feel content but I also believe that part of that contentment was from the result of their work not the actual work itself.  When I look at the next generation,  I believe my father felt a great deal of contentment from the process of his work (songwriter and long haul truck driver) but was not overly concerned with the typical "outcomes" of his profession....and now into my generation,  we all picked occupations because they fit our strengths and wants.   In 2 generations, we have shifted our focus significantly????  How do you think America will change if these reflections hold true across our nation?

4 comments:

  1. I too was surprised at how closely the occupations in my family followed Zunker's historical outline from the reading. I had not realized there was a pattern to the opportunities that even existed for a person to pursue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mentioned contentment and having a job was more a responsibility than personal satisfaction. I found that to be similar to my family. Some people were happy to have a job. They felt that having a job was a blessing and provided for their families. It was not about personal satisfaction but more of a responsibility. They were happy to have a job and did their best. They were good at what they did and this brought work stability. Bertha Lopez

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's interesting to see the pattern or lack of pattern in our family history. I too chose a career based on what my personality and character traits are, not based on tradition. It's amazing how each generation values something different when it comes to their career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reflection. And I like the comments. Great work. Keep these ideas and thoughts and ponder often. How will this affect the students you will see? How will you encourage them? Interesting...Dr. H

    ReplyDelete